[Tagging] Extended tagging schema - my thoughts

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Aug 10 16:33:37 BST 2012

On 8/10/12 11:19 AM, Rob Nickerson wrote:

> Apologies. What was meant was that software need only cut off the
> extended values to return to existing systems (and thus
> compatibility). For example "maxspeed=120; wet 80" is chopped down to
> "maxspeed=120
> ".
the problem is that there are many data consumers. we don't have control
over the schedule/responsiveness of their supporters (nor should we).
for any incompatible change like this one, there will be a period where a
non-trivial number of data consumers are broken.

does this mean we shouldn't make incompatible changes? no, sometimes
that's necessary. what it does mean is that we should prefer compatible
ways of improving the tag system unless a incompatible change offers a
major advance that is not otherwise possible.

richard