[Tagging] on the name of a tag for landcover

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 13 10:30:42 BST 2012

Hi,

> landuse=grass is not the same as landcover=grass, in fact, "grass"
> isn't a landuse at all. If you tag landuse=grass you actually loose
> the ability to tag a real landuse.

I think the opposite is true. If people know what the landuse is then
they will tag that; if not and there's grass on the ground then they'll
fall back to landuse=grass. For example, if there's a military area with
grass, people will use landuse=military and the fact that there's grass
will not be recorded (or maybe landuse=military surface=grass?).

I.e. "if you use the landuse tag to record the presence of grass then
you lose the ability to record the presence of grass in areas subject to
land use."

Bye
Frederik