[Tagging] on the name of a tag for landcover

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:33:32 BST 2012

2012/8/3 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:
> There are of course several ways to construct hierarchy,
> Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) uses one such
> approach and when they come sufficently deep they switch to a more complicated
> system with tailored classifiers and attributes to go further.

+1, the FAO system seems quite elaborated (might be too
detailed/complicated/long for OSM, not sure, but personally I'd like
to have it adopted).

It could be translated to OSM by using several tags i.e. you would
describe the area with several tags by telling if there is vegetation
or not, if the vegetation is dense or sparse, how humid the soil is,
so instead of having a detailed value for every exact
vegetation/coverage type you'd describe the single characteristics.

This also allows for global statistics and comparison between areas
that are similar in some attributes, but not all (e.g. the kind of
vegetation also depends heavily on temperature and the natural
environment).

Cheers,
Martin