[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

David Fisher djfisher81 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:13:25 BST 2012

> Problem : if you check the data, you see that RM added the new tag but
> did not revert his wrong interpretation of the old "tracks".

Well, I'd see that as a side-issue, rather than a "problem" to be honest.
A bit more mediation and less sniping and I'm sure RM will be willing to
help drive things forward.

> Another problem : to aggregate several elements into one feature, we
> usually have different means in OSM : draw a surrounding polygon (like
> e.g. amenity=school) or create a relation (e.g. type=route +
> route=railway [1]).

A good point, which I accept.  Looking at my local mainline (Brighton Main
Line through Croydon) there are 4 tracks, each with the name "Brighton Main
Line", and each with passenger_lines=4 (and also, right now, tracks=4).
Both the name and the number-of-tracks/passenger lines are obvious
candidates for relations -- they describe the more general *route* rather
than the individual OSM ways.  However, the name (e.g. BML) describes the
entire route, whereas the number of tracks/passenger lines may change along
the way, especially through junctions (e.g. Selhurst, just north of
Croydon).

Can super-relations contain ways as well as relations?  If so, one
possibility could be:
-- Create relations for each section of continuous n-track line, tagged
with type=route, route=railway, passenger_lines=n
-- Create a super-relation containing each of these relations plus any
additional relevant lengths of track (e.g. those through junctions), tagged
with name="Name Of Route" (e.g. BML).