[Tagging] "landuse=residential" in rural areas

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Aug 17 12:46:36 BST 2012

In built-up areas, almost all land is used.

  straightfoward; but in the countryside houses often have large grounds
  attached to them, and even fields.  In particular there are quite a few

I think the question is if the lot that the house is on (assuming lots
in England work like lots in the US, since we probably took your way of
doing it a while ago :-) is mostly used to contain the house and for
what might be called household purposes, or if it's a house with a farm
and there's a farming business.

In my area, many house lots are 1.5 acres, and some more, and often have
woods (area of trees, unmanaged).  I have only tagged more recent
subdivisions (which are quite striking in pattern on imagery, with
obvious borders), and not older lots.

My take would be that the entire lot on which a house sits should be
landuse=residential, as long as there isn't an ancilliary farming
business.