[Tagging] on the name of a tag for landcover

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Aug 17 23:16:35 BST 2012

Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 16:11 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> > 
> > Yes, if animals are intended to graze on the grass, if the grass
> will be harvested for use as 
> >fodder (what my earlier message termed a hay field), or if sod will
> subsequently be transplanted 
> >elsewhere (a sod farm), then the grass is being grown as a crop, and
> >landuse=grass is appropriate.
> > 
> Turf is probably a more appropriate word, sod is likely to be pulled
> by
> various filters as it is a minor swear word.
> Phil

This is one of the dialect differences between American English and British English.  In American usage, "sod" means grass plants.  Replanting grass on a bare section of ground is termed resodding, and facilities that grow grass to be transplanted, roots, dirt, and all, are termed sod farms.   British speech sometimes uses the "grass" meaning of sod, from what I read, as in Irishmen referring to their homeland as "the old sod", as well as the perjorative usage of sod to mean sodomite.

John F. Eldredge --  john at jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

More information about the Tagging mailing list