[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sun Aug 19 14:14:47 BST 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:44:21AM +0200, Fabrizio Carrai wrote:
> After a short discussion on the italian talk, I would move the discussion
> in this list. After some tests  with OSRM, I missed the availability of a
> tag to mark the continuos (or discontinued) line that divide the lanes in
> several single carriageway.
>
> In my opinion this is an important indication to the routers to avoid
> illegal turns across a road. A typical useful application case is a road
> with many side road [2]. Actually the problem is solved with several turn
> restriction relations, one for each side way. Tagging the main way with
> "divider=solid_line" the problem would have been solved in a easier way,
> also reflecting the real status of the road.
>
> Indeed a "Divider=solid_line" proposal [3] was already presented . I'm
> would revamp such proposal.
> What is your opinion ? Is there any router developer here ?

Imho the solid_line is broken - The turn happens on a node and not on
a line. So interpreting this is difficult and in case there is a
sidestreet beeing allowed to turn you split up the way in 3 parts around
the node of the junction? Thats broken ...

There are streets where this might make sense - but using the solid_line
as indication for turning is not. All IMHO.

Flo