[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Aug 19 17:43:46 BST 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 11:44 +0200, Fabrizio Carrai wrote:
> After a short discussion on the italian talk, I would move the
> discussion in this list. After some tests  with OSRM, I missed the
> availability of a tag to mark the continuos (or discontinued) line
> that divide the lanes in several single carriageway.
>

> In my opinion this is an important indication to the routers to avoid
> illegal turns across a road. A typical useful application case is a
> road with many side road [2]. Actually the problem is solved with
> several turn restriction relations, one for each side way. Tagging the
> main way with "divider=solid_line" the problem would have been solved
> in a easier way, also reflecting the real status of the road.
>

> Indeed a "Divider=solid_line" proposal [3] was already presented . I'm
> would revamp such proposal.
> What is your opinion ? Is there any router developer here ?

How would you tag the direction of the solid line? An example here
http://goo.gl/maps/9o06r.

Traffic approaching the bend is not allowed to cross the line, traffic
leaving the bend is. Through the bend there are double white lines,
indicating neither direction may cross.

I have never seen a turn restriction, enforced by a solid line however.
There will always be a turn restriction sign.

It is far simpler to just use the turn restriction where needed, there
are very few of them. Whereas nearly every corner will need
Divider=solid_line:Forward
Divider=solid_line:Forward:Reverse
Divider=solid_line:Reverse
that will rapidly become tedious for mappers.

Phil