[Tagging] Ford = depreciated?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:20:32 BST 2012

On 25/08/12 14:49, Andrew Errington wrote:
> I remember this happening, and it seemed like a Good Thing at the time,
> although I had only mapped one ford.
>
> It was suggested that highway=ford should be deprecated and replaced with
> ford=yes.
>
> So "ford" itself is not lost, it has moved from a value to become a key.
>
> I like this approach.  Do you think it's such a bad thing?

+1
same as tunnel and bridge

> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:37:20 Philip Barnes wrote:
>> Have just spotted this changeset whilst looking through changes near me?
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/12837424

This is vandalism as only the tag of the node was deleted but the highway should
have been split and ford=yes added. Please, contact the editor to avoid similar
changes.

>> Everyone should know what a ford is, and obviously the depth or if there
>> is water will depend on the recent weather.

Seems this user did not really know.

>> The decision was made by what appears to have been made by a vote by 5
>> people.
>>
>> Why has it not been discussed in this mailing list where it will be seen
>> by someone who is not searching the wiki for Fords today.

Do not know and yes, it should have been at least mentioned here. I got to know
about it through JOSM validator.