[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:30:19 BST 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Craig Wallace <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 26/08/2012 08:42, Markus Lindholm wrote:
>>
>> Also, no one has offered any other solution to the routing issue. The
>> divider tag has been proposed, but I think it has been demonstrated
>> not to work, as routing decision are made on the node and not on the
>> line.
>

> Where has it been demonstrated not to work? What do you mean by "routing
> decision are made on the node and not on the line"?
> Yes, the divider tag is probably not supported by any current routing
> software. But it would not be too hard to modify the software to allow for
> it.

This is an area which has two ways instead of one:
http://osm.org/go/0bCzT1kfr--

Here is an route example:
http://map.project-osrm.org/1cL

Without two ways you would be routed directly to the end point, but
with two ways you will be routed with the needed detour. It's
especially interesting if you go by bike but then it's more of a
psychological divider than a physical (which is another story).

I don't like mapping like this, but I'm pragmatic and it does solve a
real problem, so I decided no to fight Markus on this.
So what is the recommendation for mapping this.