[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - man_made=kiln

Richard Smith rich at haveyougotanypets.com
Thu Aug 30 13:37:46 BST 2012

I am proposing the creation of a feature with the name: kiln.

Proposal Page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/kiln

My main motivation is the desire to tag a number of charcoal kilns in my local area. However rather than draw up plans for the feature "charcoal_kiln" I have chosen to draw up proposals for a more
general tag of "kiln" as I think it is more useful to the community (I have added notes on how this can be expanded to show type/use). If you do not know what a kiln is you can read up on kilns and
their many uses on the wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiln ).

I believe this tag is appropriate for OSM as all charcoal is made using a kiln of some kind or other. Charcoal production is in the 10s of millions of tons a year and as such there a lot of kilns of
this type alone in the world not to mention ones used to produce pottery, dry plant materials (such as tobacco, hops) and to smelt metals.

I would be grateful for any feedback and suggestions as this is my first proposal.

Kind Regards,
Richard Smith