[Tagging] Catchment Areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:26:49 GMT 2012

2012/12/1 Christopher Baines <cbaines8 at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 15:39 +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> I'd like to draw your attention to this proposal
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Healthcare_2.0
>> There are also examples and other useful links on the bottom of the page.
>
> Thanks Martin, I have been looking in detail at the proposal, but have
> not really worked out what state its in, or how I can contribute?

I am also not sure what state it is in, but generally as soon as
someone sets up a proposal there are people using it, so given that
this is more than 2 years old, I see it as more or less in use. For
particular keys and tags you can use taginfo to see how widespread the
use is, e.g. http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=health_facility%3Atype

In any case you can add your comments to the discussion-page of the
proposal. You might also want to contact the original author of the
proposal to discuss problems. And/or discuss here in public on the
tagging-ML. How to procede depends a lot on how many things you'd like
to change and how many can be kept. Also keep in mind that some of the
features in this proposal might already be somehow implemented
somewhere.

So if there are things that you can't map with the proposal and which
have to be implemented in a non-compatible way (i.e. you have to use
the same keys in a different way for some reason) there is a problem,
otherwise I'd suggest you use keys that don't interfere with the
proposal so that there is no problem.
I'd try to keep as much as possible from this proposal and make some
compatible amendments where necessary from your point of view.

If the original creator of the proposal doesn't want to take the
proposal to voting, you could do that yourself, but the "status"
doesn't depend much on "voting", but rather on how established the
actual use is.

cheers,
Martin