[Tagging] Catchment Areas

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 3 10:29:02 GMT 2012

In my mind there is a conceptual difference between formally defined
administrative areas and informal catchment areas. For the former, there
is (somewhere) a documented source of "the truth", whereas there is no
official document to describe the delivery area of a pizza restaurant.
Religious administration is formalised (at least for the christian
churches), and is therefore verifiable. Same for health care areas,
emergency services etc. These will be defined and documented by some
"higher authority". As such, I would think they are in the same category
of boundary as government administrative areas and would not be out of
place in OSM. The freedom to "make an exception" is very limited, if it
exists at all; changes to these areas go through some kind of formal
process and are fairly rare. Even schools (in the UK at least) often use
a "catchment area" defined by postcode areas. A pizza delivery service
is however always free to make an exception as it sees fit.

Colin

Christopher Baines <cbaines8 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> After more
consideration, and the helpful feedback from the list. I have revised
the proposal [1]. It now uses a boundary relation. Once again, does
anyone have any comments? 1:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Catchment [1]

About place_of_worship, check this old (and in use) proposal:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:FrViPofm/Tag:boundary%3Dreligious_administration
[2]

> boundary=religious_administration + admin_level=8 for the
smallest

Tagging at openstreetmap.org

Links:
------