[Tagging] Status of maxspeed:wet

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:12:38 GMT 2012

On 2012-12-03 20:27, Ole Nielsen wrote :
> BTW, I'm not sure how useful the wet tag (old style or new style) is.
> You will need some damn precise and detailed weather forecasts for a
> route planner to be able to use such information. And usually it is
> only fairly short sections of highway having such tags so the impact
> is minimal (and in my experience drivers pretty much ignore such signs
> anyway).
answer from the wiki:
> The *maxspeed*=* <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed> tag
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag> is used to define the maximum
> legal speed limit <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits>
> for general traffic on a particular road, railway or waterway.
Maxspeed is not a speed to time routes but a legal information. By not
mentioning a lower speed than normal, the information is incomplete and
liable to be called dangerous in some places where wet speed is
justified. Even more so for :snow and/or :ice maxspeed.

Speed to predict journey duration can be based on data recorded by some
GPS manufacturers on some GPS devices of their customers. It can be very
complicated, using location and time. The simplest tag would be
speed:average.