[Tagging] POIs

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 20:00:09 GMT 2012

2012/12/8 Dave Sutter <sutter at intransix.com>:
> principle easier to update the POI database for this than the map. The
> business owner can update his address rather then editing the map. At
> least this is how it works in many other places. One of the main
> reason for this is that the big databases for businesses are managed
> separately from maps - Yellow Pages, Hoovers, InfoUSA, Factual etc
> Admittedly, OSM may be different.

+1, the point is that most people don't control the underlying map
(the "base"map), so they can't do otherwise, which is where OSM is
very different!

> However, when it comes to details like the schedule for a ferry (a
> discussion that came up a ways back), I think this type on information
> is just too difficult to maintain directly in OSM.

yes, and neither our database nor our tools are suited to enter,
search or maintain this kind of data (like the menu of a restaurant,
etc.).

> I think it would be good to create an external database and move some
> things to it. But if we do this, there will always be a fuzzy line
> between and a debate about what goes in the external database and what
> goes in the map. I don't have a good answer for that.

and most likely there will be much more than one external database,
and there will be a lot of contradicting information in all of these
external databases ;-)

cheers,
Martin