[Tagging] SF Muni tram lines are layer=1?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:53:54 GMT 2012

2012/12/17 Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net>:
> The layer tag is only a hint to renderers. If you remove the tag the road
> way may render over the rail way and hide it.

no it is not (only, IMHO), it is an attribute to get some depth into a
2D-model (our database). It is a tag that indicates which object lies
above which in the real world, but a renderer could well decide to
render stuff in different order (e.g. for a tunnel you can decide to
render it above all other stuff with appropriate line style, so you
can see it, there is not always sense in rendering stuff to the
drawing in the stacking order the stuff is arranged in the world).

cheers,
Martin