[Tagging] Comments wanted: Placement

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:26:35 GMT 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Henning Scholland <osm at aighes.de> wrote:

> For me this isn't a good alternative for "drawing" the highway as an area.
> This is simple to understand and very flexible. It's not useful to have more
> or less two ways of tagging. Maybe you could explain, why it is useful ?

The wiki says:
"Note on renderers: When speaking of renderers keep in mind that each
navigational device is also a renderer, and - especially if a lane
assist is provided - one with very high zoom levels, i.e. the geometry
of the road is very visible and therefore important. "

I guess it's purely for rendering. Why not (like 'label'). But it's
only useful if you render lanes which is something I've not seen so
far (for nano mapping ?). The point about car navigation systems is
incorrect. It does not care about the highway way position (and no GPS
device is accurate enough to determine on which lane you are).

Pieren