[Tagging] Comments wanted: Placement

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:42:45 GMT 2012

2012/12/20 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> I guess it's purely for rendering. Why not (like 'label'). But it's
> only useful if you render lanes which is something I've not seen so
> far (for nano mapping ?).

Think of a navigation system with lane assistance - it's just a
renderer with a very high zoom level. ;-)

> The point about car navigation systems is
> incorrect. It does not care about the highway way position (and no GPS
> device is accurate enough to determine on which lane you are).

You got me wrong: the exact position is irrelevant. This tagging is
about the position and course of the lanes within(!) the outline of
the road. The navigation system should present you with a
representation of the road ahead that is as realistic as possible.
Especially the course of the lanes is very important, because drivers
strongly rely on the geometry of the road: they should recognize it in
the lane assistance. It's all about representation!

I most certainly have to create an example (for consumers) which shows
how to estimate the course of the lanes.

Thanks for your feedback.
Martin