[Tagging] left: & right:

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 22:26:28 GMT 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are the left: & right: tags which are commonly used to determine admin
> boundaries ways still relevant when the boundary is also in a relation?
>
> eg http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/198923188

No. I have deleted them from all of the county borders I have touched
here in the US.

> Also should the admin_level be tagged in the way as it could be a shared
> boundary of differing levels.
>
> I think the answer is 'no' to both my questions but I want to get a
> consensus before removing.

This one is a little more iffy. In theory you don't really need any
tags on the ways if they are members of relations. But then people are
more likely to mess with them or even delete them if the editor they
are using doesn't properly understand or display relations. So I chose
to leave boundary=administrative and the admin_level tag equal to the
highest admin level of the relations involved. So a shared
state/county border would get admin_level=4. I have seen others do the
same although I'm not sure how wide the consensus is.

Toby