[Tagging] Sports_centre, gym, dojo

Zsolt Bertalan herrbert74 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:49:09 GMT 2012

Hi,

I try to find a tag for a gymnasium (sports hall) in a school, for a
fitness centre in a shopping centre and other sports facilities, but I
realised there are no tags the community agreed on except for
leisure=sports_centre.
This is a complicated issue because of overlapping concepts, our
multicultural environment and different needs. For example I just realised
that "sports hall" probably wouldn't even recognised by native english
speakers.
I think we should have a sport facilities page in the wiki where we can
list and define all the facilities and their required property tags in the
first place. From there we could start off the different feature proposals,
but (mostly) we cannot discuss them separately as they are connected on so
many levels.

Am I on the right track here?

OR...

we could use the de facto standards the community use (and possibly
document them in the wiki).
Namely:
- I wouldn't use leisure=gym as it is confusing.
- I would tag a gymnasium(sports hall) in a school as leisure=gymnasium
- Also, a separate, bigger sports hall gymnasium with spectator's stand as
leisure=gymnasium. Or leisure=arena?
- An outdoor gym as leisure=outdoor_gym
- A fitness studio as leisure=fitness_studio and have tags as solarium=yes,
sauna=yes, massage=no
- etc

Well, these are my preferences, not definitely what the community use
mostly. So, goto 1? :)

Anyway, I would ditch leisure tag and change all tags to amenity as it
always confuses me, but probably there are higher reasons for its
existence, so don't take this seriously.

regards
herrbert74
Zsolt Bertalan