[Tagging] Converting relation type "relatedStreet" to "assiciatedStreet"

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Sun Feb 19 11:12:37 GMT 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:56:39 +0100, Werner Hoch wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2012, 11:07 +0100 schrieb David Paleino:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:56:19 +0100, Werner Hoch wrote:
> > > the relation type page:
> > > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Types_of_relation
> > >
> > > lists the relatedStreet relation as an similar type of associatedStreet.
> > >
> > > Are there any objection to convert and cleanup the relatedStreets into
> > > associatedStreet relations?
> > >
> > > Often there could be merge several relatedStreet relations together to
> > > one associatedStreet relations, as relatedStreets sometime only
> > > connected single houses to a street.
> >
> > I'm one of those pushing for type=street, and I'd be glad if we could merge
> > all somethingStreet to it :) (which is less error-prone, less chars to
> > type, easier to remember)
>
> Well, one relation type would be perfect. But for now I think we should
> try to reduce the different types one by one.

Then I propose merging relatedStreet directly to street :P

> > (we should also include type=collection + collection=street and type=route +
> > route=street -- rationale for the latter is that named routes should be
> > route=road)
>
> AFAIK type=route + route=road  is different to the street relations.
> road routes: primary, secondary road routes with the same ref.
> street: houses and highway elements with the same name/address.

That's exactly what I'm saying, see below.
From your originally linked page, I can see there are some route=street around.
I was saying that these should be merged too. My reference to route=road was
that, if a route=street has a ref=, this should really be a route=road. So
there shouldn't be *any* route=street around.

Regarding route=road, here is one more thought. In some cases, people (I, for
one, in my beginnings) use route=road to link different pieces of a ref-less
street: this is wrong. But surely this can't be done automatically :)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino