[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:16:13 GMT 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before we vote, shouldn't we try to clean up the proposal? E.g. there
> is this sentence: "Hint: If the waterway starts as a stream and
> becomes larger, then use the tag of the largest waterway (e.g.
> river)."
> Well, almost all rivers start small and become bigger ;-), but despite
> being small, don't they already start as rivers at their spring?

No, because the OSM definition of 'river' is width. (As opposed to
languages like French which distinguish between waterways that empty
in the sea and those that empty into other rivers).

The proposal looks pretty sensible to me. I just wish there was a
meaningful process we could follow. Probably what we really want to do
is deprecate any alternative tagging schemes, and direct people to
this one.

Steve