[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 13:34:41 GMT 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> The wiki says: "For narrow rivers which will be rendered as a line.
> For larger rivers see waterway=riverbank. For really small rivers and
> streams, see waterway=stream."  This is ambiguous (reads as if
> waterway=river isn't appropriate for larger rivers, I changed this
> right now to "Waterway=river is used to tag a river. For larger rivers
> also have a look at waterway=riverbank. For really small rivers and
> streams, see waterway=stream."
>
> "really small river" would not be a valid description for the still
> narrow initial part of a large river, would it?

As I understand the tags, they're not at all ambiguous:
waterway=stream and waterway=river are mutually exclusive ways of
tagging a river, the choice being made on the width of the watercourse
at that point.
waterway=riverbank is an alternative way of mapping a waterway=river,
and can coexist with it.

Steve