[Tagging] tagging of "ele" / elevation data e.g. in the context of towers

sabas88 sabas88 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 11:52:59 GMT 2012

2012/2/20 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> On the German ML we are currently discussing how to applicate "ele" to
> towers (and similar situations). There is consensus that the key
> "height" is describing the height of the structure from the ground to
> the top. There is also consensus to tag elevation data in WGS84 (so
> that numbers in local systems would typically have to be converted
> before you can enter them).
>
> There are 2 alternatives:
>
> a) ele is the elevation of the ground around/below the tower (in the
> case of a mountain summit it would be the elevation of the mountain,
> not the tower).
>
> +1
I believe "ele=*" should be applied only to the terrain, and height would
be the physical distance between the point at "ele=*" elevation and the one
at "ele+height" elevation.

b) ele is the elevation of the highest point at the tagged spot, i.e.
> the top of the tower
>
> -1

> Comments welcome. The idea is to clarify this aspect on the wiki page
> for the key "ele".

For istance if there would ever be a DEM compatible with OSM licenses, I
think it would be imported in ele=* tags.

> cheers,
> Martin
>
> cheers,
Stefano.