[Tagging] Wikifiddling, surface=cobblestone vs. sett & paving_stones

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:45:09 GMT 2012

After questions on talk-it this wiki action was identified:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3AMap_Features%3Asurface&action=historysubmit&diff=701000&oldid=696691

Is it consensus to use "sett" instead of "cobblestones" for most of
the stone pavings of roads? Taginfo shows only 177 objects tagged with
"sett".

I don't recall any discussion on this topic. Until now I thought it
was consensus to use the tags "surface=cobblestones" for more or less
uneven paving with stones and "surface=paving_stones" for more or less
even surfaces paved with stones.

How should we deal with this? Maybe there was indeed a definition gap
to distinguish on a finer granularity between different pavings?

Anyway, changing main values of main tags in the wiki without further
announcement, discussion or voting should be deprecated.

cheers,
Martin

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/surface#values