[Tagging] Wikifiddling, surface=cobblestone vs. sett & paving_stones

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 13:08:45 GMT 2012

> Is it consensus to use "sett" instead of "cobblestones" for most of
> the stone pavings of roads? Taginfo shows only 177 objects tagged with
> "sett".

> How should we deal with this? Maybe there was indeed a definition gap
> to distinguish on a finer granularity between different pavings?

You shouldn't be using "sett" instead of "cobblestones" in any case,
because they're not the same thing. My understanding is that
cobblestones are irregular stones, used in pretty much their natural
state for paving, whereas setts are specifically shaped, brick-sized
pieces of rock (granite in the case of Guildford High Street, where I
live) that form a smoother surface (but not as smooth as a metalled road).

Paving stones, I'd venture, are another class again, where they can
either genuinely be flat stones or cast material, but larger than setts
or cobblestones, perhaps over 50cm.

In summary: I believe the three classes to be separate and
non-overlapping. So I disagree with the wiki edit made, but do think
surface=sett is a sensible, verifiable tag.

Jonathan.