[Tagging] Tag approval process or its absence (was: Voting for Relation type=waterway)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 21 09:45:53 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 02/21/12 10:18, LM_1 wrote:
>>> The possibility of free tags is great, but once some tagging style
>>> proves as usable (and better than any other),

>> ... which will never be the case ...

> I know, it is a kind of ideal state, the closer we are to it, the better.

I don't think so. I don't think there is one general tagging style that
is better for everyone.

>>> it should become a
>>> standard and used exclusively

>> ... in which geographic / cultural region?

> In all of them.

I don't think that a tagging style that works best in Europe will
automatically also be the one that works best in South America. Any
attempt to force everyone to use the same style will automatically make
the map *less* good in some places. I think that it is one of the great
strengths of OSM that we can allow people to map what is good for them
locally, and we should not throw that away just because some programmer
somewhere finds it easier to roll out his iPhone app if tags are
synchronized the world over!

Bye
Frederik