[Tagging] unfinished railway of historic importance

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:07:12 GMT 2012

> any thoughts or suggestions?

IMHO there is not much difference between a "almost completed then
abandoned" and "completed then abandoned" railway, from the
perspective of OSM. Either way, it's not a present day railway, yet
there are some physical features that history buffs may be interested
in seeing. So if it was me, I would mark it railway=abandoned, add a
note or two, and be done with it. You can use the normal
embankment=yes, cutting=yes. You could get your "unbuilt" factoid in
sideways by using some tag like completed_date=never.

The trouble with inventing a new tag for a fringe case is nothing is
ever likely to support it, because there will never be more than a
couple of uses in the database.

Or maybe it's not that fringe. We have a very similar case here:
http://osm.org/go/uG4JYUwZt-
Whether it was "completed" is arguable. Most probably, no train ever
ran on it - although its creator insisted otherwise. I can't really
see any reason that that fact would ever need to be represented
graphically, other than in the most comprehensive of railway history
maps.

Steve