[Tagging] What is this path surface called?

Mike Valiant mike_valiant at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:59:54 GMT 2012

I think the "tarp" is a horticultural membrane designed to stop weeds growing up through the path. The "mulch" looks like debris that has fallen from the trees rather than anything applied deliberately.
It's difficult to see from the photo, but it looks like the original path surface material was crushed stone.   If true, surface=crushed_stone  might be appropriate, though not widely used (4 instances). 
There are 33 instances of surface=unpaved:crushed_limestone in the database which is a pretty common surface on paths around where I live. Depends how specific you want to be?
> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:10:58 -0500
> From: neroute2 at gmail.com
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Tagging] What is this path surface called?
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2moxxjl.jpg
> There's a black tarp spread over the ground (tree roots have exposed a 
> piece here) with dirt, mulch, and other natural materials spread on top. 
> Does this have a name?
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20120226/d4e2a081/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list