[Tagging] How to tag the width of a gate

Shawn Michael osm at monkeyspunk.net
Sun Feb 26 23:38:32 GMT 2012

On 02/26/2012 09:16 AM, Mike Valiant wrote:

>  > Originally there was little mention of any of them tags depicting
>  > purely legal restrictions. Even access/*=no was "unsuitable or not
>  > allowed", but later, as it was deemed unverifiable, the "only legal"
>  > started creeping into all sorts of tags, where it may or may not be
>  > the common usage, or sensible.
>
> In the case under discussion, a gate across a *path*, I think it is
> unlikely that there will ever be a case where the width restriction is
> anything but physical. maxwidth:physical as a qualification would be an
> unnecessary

I'm not entirely sure about that.  I personally have been tagging ATV
trails (50 inch legal width restriction) as highway=track and adding a
few other tags.  But when I first started tagging them I used
highway=path instead.  Reading the description for highway=path it's not
really clear that it doesn't apply.  The description explicitly mentions
snowmobiles which share a number of common trails with ATVs.  I wouldn't
be hard to convince me to go back to "path".

It's the default of no motor vehicles that made me switch over to track
instead of path.  But it's such a specialized use case.. it's just
questionable.

Shawn