[Tagging] Building tag, "building typology" vs "current function"

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:35:04 GMT 2012

2012/2/27 Кирилл "Zkir" Бондаренко <zkir at zkir.ru>:
> Could you please express your opinion on the issue. Building=* is one of the
> most used tags, and it would be nice to understand it in the same way, in
> the whole OSM, even in different countries.

Interesting one. I note there is both building=residential, and
building=house. Maybe "residential" here is not "function" so much as
"less specific typology" - that is, it includes house, flat, unit,
etc.

To me, whether the tag is building=manufacture or building=factory is
not very important, as long as it's consistent and documented. And
whether you tag a church building that is being used as a private
residence as building=church or building=residential is a matter of
opinion, and not especially important to resolve globally, imho.

Steve