[Tagging] Rd --> Road

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Jan 2 13:37:58 GMT 2012

On 12/29/2011 12:53 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> i saw some failures of a script run over
> Nevada Iowa last year (not necessarily the script you're referring to):
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.02091&lon=-93.44698&zoom=15&layers=M
>
> the script had converted E Ave to East Avenue, N Ave to North Avenue and
> S Ave
> to South Avenue, all of which were errors (Nevada avenue names are
> single letters.)

This was not the referenced 'expand' script, which in my opinion
*should* be run on the rest of the US.   Unlike the rest of OSM work,
handcrafted name expansion adds no value to the map database. There are
errors - if I were to ever armchair-edit E Ave, I would almost certainly
expand it to East Avenue, whereas the script has logic to prevent that
error.   Another argument against manual expansion is that it is not
unheard of for newbies to come in behind and undo all expansion with
abbreviations because that's what they are used to seeing on other maps
- more wasted work.

  But I realize that current project opinion does not support automatic
expansion.   The best I can hope for is a JOSM plugin that automatically
expands current edits or all ways in the current dataset download.