[Tagging] Amenity parking

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:04:35 GMT 2012

2012/1/12 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> I am not sure whether this was initially only for parkings "on
>> surface" (I had thought it would have been for all kind of parkings,
>> so also underground and multistorey)
>
> The "surface" default was part of the proposal that introduced the
> surface/underground/multi-storey distinction:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approved_features/Parking

OK, but is the voting of a bunch of people on a wiki proposal
sufficient to ensure that all amenity=parking by then were surface
parkings? Introducing defaults afterwards is a fail in any case - as
long as you don't check all entities which are in the map and make
sure every mapper by then gets knowledge of the newly introduced
default.

> So imo at least this default should be put back onto the page. We can
> discuss whether it should be abolished, but it clearly wasn't just a
> later addition.

It's a wiki, go ahead. Btw.: Personally I'd also consider
parking=surface a reasonable default fallback for the case of a
missing parking key (but I do enter parking=surface on the map for
surface parkings, because it is unambigous, and I won't encourage
people to omit this - what basically happens if you write "defaults"
into the wiki). So, +1 to the suggestion to abolish this default.

cheers,
Martin