[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:30:21 GMT 2012

On 1/17/2012 8:10 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
> I find it useless to map such wide areas as landuses. There's no point
> in tagging a whole village's area as landuse=residential, and there's
> no point in making a sixty-km-wide polygon to indicate that between
> Parma and Reggio Emilia there's cultivated land.

I'm not suggesting either of these. But a single chunk of houses is
clearly all residential, whether it's the size of a few lots or a huge
subdivision. Splitting it at roads gives no benefit and complicates
editing greatly. This is just ridiculous:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18

> As to residential roads, I don't think they are part of the landuse. I
> agree that "service"s (especially driveways) and "living_street"s are,
> but a residential road is not a place to live,
Neither is a lawn or swimming pool.

> nor it is meant to be used only by the residents.
So your cutoff would be whether through traffic is allowed?