[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:35:47 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding Landuse=residential I do not agree with the approach of the two
> examples
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=45.301967&lon=8.444596&zoom=18
>
> Apart from the aspect of overcrowding any map produced from this data, it is
> simply not helpful from a practical point of view. What additional
> information do I gain from excluding the road from the landuse area, it is
> anyway clear that people do not live on roads. I would strongly advocate for
> including the residential roads in the residential landuse areas. In both
> examples even cul-de-sac roads are excluded !   I would only exclude major
> roads from the residential landuse areas.

I agree.  I think that "residential area", "industrial area" etc
include their roads, which are used for residential / industrial
access respectively.  It would make sense to exclude through-roads,
though.

I see the "area" kind of landuse marker as being mostly of interested
when zoomed out, away from the detail, although of course their
boundaries should still be precise.  When zoomed in to more detail,
individual houses / factories will be the focus of interest.

__John