[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jan 17 15:18:26 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:

>> it is
>> simply not helpful from a practical point of view. What additional
>> information do I gain from excluding the road from the landuse area, it is
>> anyway clear that people do not live on roads.
>
> you get the border between public and private land. Why is that not
> helpful or interesting?

You get the border between public and private land _wrong_.  In my
experience, the property line is not at the curb, but some distance
back from the curb.  A reserved area is held for utilities, road
expansion, snowplow debris, etc.

I am not a fan of individual landuse areas for each block, or even
worse individual landuse areas from each property / building.

There is not necessarily a direct connection between landuse and
zoning.  Is a home-based daycare residential or commercial, or
commercial / residential.  (Or residential commercial=permissive)
What about a home-based medical practice or barber shop?

Locally, zoning is only directly observable when an application for a
zoning change requires a posted sign.  Even then, While the land owner
has "applied for permission to build an 8-storey residential building
atop a two-story commercial shopping area (and underground parking)",
that isn't the current landuse.  It's currently a disused gas station.

The correct landuse or zoning is unknowable from a casual OSM foot
survey or aerial imagery.

Instead, map what is knowable and observable.  building=shop,
shop=convenience or building=house or amenity=doctors, etc.