[Tagging] Why are railway=crossing and level_crossing separate tags?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Jan 20 16:59:46 GMT 2012

Good question. I just noticed that the other day while using the
presets window. I'd say deprecate one of them. I'd be inclined to
deprecate level_crossing because crossing is nice and terse. But
level_crossing is used more (143k vs 22k for railway=crossing) and
railway=crossing causes confusion with highway=crossing which is a
different thing.