[Tagging] Level and type of school (ISCED, public/private/charter)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Jan 20 19:09:39 GMT 2012

I've been thinking about how to tag schools, specifically in regards
to the level of education offered (primary/secondary,
elementary/middle/high) and who operates the school (public/private).

For the first, there's some discussion on the school talk page about
using the ISCED system:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dschool#Level_of_education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Classification_of_Education

I think this makes sense, perhaps using school:level or isced:level as
a key name. Alternatively, a simpler system could be just primary,
secondary, tertiary (similar to how Wikipedia articles are organized).
I just found a proposal for something like this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/School_levels

For the other, here in the US the most common types of school are
public (run by the government, no charge for attendance), charter
(paid by government, run by private entity, no charge for attendance),
and private (run by private entity, charge for attendance). I'd like
to get an international perspective on this. A possibly key could be
school:type, though it is currently used for some numbered scheme that
I'm not familiar with.

Anyone else interested in this? It seems like this would be especially
useful in the developing world.

-Josh