[Tagging] Mapping guidelines

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Jan 21 13:13:55 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Bryce2 Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

>>> A residential street is used for residential purposes: traveling to and from
>>> a house, parking cars, playing ball...
>>
>> It's also used for non-residential purposes.
>
> The road is a road: it has meaning, semantics, access rules.
> It is fully capable of representing itself overlaid on various land
> use: be they forest, residential, military or commercial.

I'm not talking about the road, though.  I'm talking about the land.
The road is built *on* the land, just as the residence is on the land.
 Part of the land is set aside legally for putting things like houses
and pools and gardens and other "residential" things.  Part of it is
set aside legally for putting things like roads and sidewalks and
light poles and gutters.

> I think that landuse should refer to broad areas.  Parcel and
> ownership data is interesting... but I'd rather get that from the
> public record.

You can always generate broad area land use data from parcel level
land use data, but you can't do the latter.