[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Jan 22 12:13:55 GMT 2012

On 17/01/2012 15:41, Jo wrote:
> For what it's worth. When I start rendering/printing maps based on
> OSM, I think it's extremely ugly if the landuse is not 'connected' to
> the roads, i.e. that the landuse uses separate parallel ways with a
> small space in between for its definition.

That would be factually incorrect.

Also remember that the way for the road represents an infinitesimally
narrow centre line. Any width the road might have is dictated by the
rendering.

Example of why not to join landuse to ways:

Imagine you joined a landuse=field to a road. This field has a hedge
boundary with a gate in it for a footpath to pass through. In this
scenario the gate tag would also be on the road indicating there's a
barrier to the traffic. Clearly wrong.