[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - rail_trail

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at glebius.int.ru
Mon Jan 30 13:46:49 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 02:35:50PM +0100, Masi Master wrote:
M> i now startet my proposal for RFC!
M> It's about rail-trails (german: Bahntrassenradweg). This is a disused
M> railway, which converted into a multiuse path, normaly for cycling,
M> inlineskating or hiking.
M>
M> Link: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/rail_trail

An abandoned railway (usually a narrow gauge one) is quite a common
object in Russia. Numerous narrow gauge light railways were built
to transport wood. As soon as a certain area of forest gets depleted
rails are unmounted, but the embankment left is used as a road.

However, it is usually used not as a cycling path :) since it
runs through wilderness and may span up to 100 klms. Since it
isn't serviced, it usually gets to condition when only 4x4
vehicle can pass.

I have mapped some of these former railways, and I usually use
railway=abandoned on them. I'm glad that you made a proposal, however
I'd appreciate if new tagging scheme would fit both German and Russian
realities.

I'll upload several fotos and link them to proposal page in next few
days, as well as add couple of words to the proposal, if you don't
mind.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.