[Tagging] [Talk-us] Rails with trails

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:22:10 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Masi Master <masi-master at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> Some month ago I tried to start a proposal for rail-trails:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/rail_trail
> I startet it with 'rail_trail=yes', but on talk-page some are against this,
> because highway=cycleway/footway + railway=abandoned are enough.
> Now it propose only the possible rendering.

Yeah, I think the way you express it now is appropriate: just
highway=cycleway, and railway=abandoned.

(I don't necessarily agree with your description that rail trail =
autobahn for bicycles. Often, around here at least, they're unpaved,
and usually intended  for tourism and recreation rather than
commuting, for instance.)

For the original question of how to tag a "rail with trail" (I've also
heard the term "railside trail"), is it not sufficient to simply map
the two ways separately? Example here:
http://osm.org/go/uG4lkKxG?layers=C

Steve