[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:56:21 BST 2012

2012/7/3 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>:
> In France, a solid line means do not cross. It is more than do not overtake.

+1, I guess it's the same everywhere. AFAIK there is no difference
between a double solid line and a single one. You are not allowed to
cross them (but you could if you didn't care about traffic rules, and
you can if you are walking). This implies generally a legal
restriction against overtaking, turning left and u-turns.

> The router does need fixing however as U-turns around a roundabout divider
> island are rarely sensible and should not be treated as a junction.

well, whether something is sensible or not depends on a lot of
parameters (e.g. the amount of other traffic). We have to tell the
router that there is a solid line in the first place, something we
currently mostly don't do (see taginfo,
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/divider has only 192 occurencies
on ways).

cheers,