[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:06:05 BST 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner at kde.org> wrote:

> No, it doesn't.
> * A divider does not imply overtaking restrictions, as has been argued before. In most (all?) countries, you are still allowed to overtake as long as you don't cross the divider.

True for overtaking. But it' correct for turning left/right and u-turn
restrictions.

> * A divider does not prevent left-turns or u-turns. Reason: a divider is a linear feature, it is applied to ways, and implications on nodes (especially end nodes) are completely undefined.

Hmm, look at the wiki first:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Divided_road

and consider this assumption:
"By default, when a divided way has a junction with a non-divided way,
the division is unbroken."

But I agree that such assumptions are very hard to keep in OSM (where
usually a tag shall be self-explanatory).

Pieren