[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:00:33 BST 2012

On 3 July 2012 16:47, Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Am Dienstag, 3. Juli 2012, 15:38:57 schrieb Markus Lindholm:
>> Physical separation doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible to
>> cross, it might be no more than a 20cm high curb that an emergency
>> vehicle or a SUV easily could cross.
>>
>> I still think it's more straight forward to map as two separate ways
>> than to add tags to provide a logically consistent view about how to
>> drive from A to B in a legal way. Bank robbers and emergency vehicle
>> drivers make anyway their own decision on the spot.
>>
>> And about pedestrians, I add sidewalks around such street and tag the
>> street with foot=no.
>
> There is a reason why this is a bad idea: routing along linear features has to work under the assumption that routes are just paths in the data. By splitting ways, you're removing quite a lot of possible routes; e.g. try pedestrian routing to the house opposite to yours.

Well, my house is by a residential street and there's no solid line in
the middle :) Usually the solid line is there for an reason, like that
there's lot of traffic. I wouldn't like it if a pedestrian routing
engine asked me to cross a six lane heavily trafficked street just
because there's no physical separation.

/Markus