[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:40:12 BST 2012

2012/7/3 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
> Physical separation doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible to
> cross, it might be no more than a 20cm high curb that an emergency
> vehicle or a SUV easily could cross.

yes, if you really want to go that deep into detail I suggest you use
the area relation or something similar, which allows for exactly this:
store detail information about the kind of barrier, including heights
and so on.

> I still think it's more straight forward to map as two separate ways
> than to add tags to provide a logically consistent view about how to
> drive from A to B in a legal way.

and if there are interruptions in the solid line you will get really
ugly separations and reconjuctions every few meters at some places?

> And about pedestrians, I add sidewalks around such street and tag the
> street with foot=no.

to me this seems wrong. The presence of a sidewalk doesn't
automatically imply a foot=no on the street, at least in some
jurisdictions. E.g. in Germany as a pedestrian you have to use the
street when carrying big loads or in other cases when the sidewalk is
not appropriate. It also requires really a lot of connections between
the two, which in the real (OSM) world seems to be a problem: the
routing in all the places I saw so far got worse with explict
sidewalks mapped as footways because of these missing links.

cheers,
Martin