[Tagging] Extended Conditions - response to votes

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jul 5 13:54:45 BST 2012

On 05.07.2012 14:30, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> This means the whole thing isn't ready for voting. Yet I read that
> voting was "full underway". You cannot vote *instead* of having a
> discussion, it won't work. Legitimate criticism cannot be countered by
> "but we got 51% in the vote for this". Whoever started a vote on
> something so un-ready is certainly not helping anyone.

While I didn't start the vote and wouldn't have done so (I feel the need
to point that out because my name is still on that wiki page), I think
the outcome of the vote happens to be actually useful.

I, for one, underestimated the opposition to variable keys, as well as
numbers and special characters in keys, due to both stylistic and
technical factors. The relevance of that has been made overwhelmingly
clear by the voting and the related discussion, so this can be taken
into account in the future.

That may not be much, but it's more than three years' worth of recurring
discussions have achieved.

Tobias