[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Jul 7 16:15:28 BST 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 09:04 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 16:36 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> > >

> > > However, whether or not U-turns are allowed at all varies from place
> > to place.  Some
> > > towns categorically forbid U-turns; some allow them only where signs
> > state they are
> > > allowed; some allow them except where signs forbid them; and some
> > towns allow them
> > > in general as long as you aren't doing them in a reckless manner.
> > >

> > That is scary, is there signage? or is everyone expected to just know?
> >
> > Phil
>
> Well, Franklin, Tennessee recently changed a city ordinance from categorically banning u-turns
> to allowing them if they can be done safely, without endangering other traffic, and if there
> isn't a sign at that particular point forbidding u-turns.  Prior to the law change, I think it
> was something that drivers were expected to know.  Since I don't visit Franklin very often,
> however, I can't say for sure.
>
> <http://m.wkrn.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wkrn.com%2fstory%2f17964837%2frevised-ordinance-allows-safe-u-turns-in-franklin%3fclienttype%3drssstory>

Thats what I mean by scary, I expect to have to read up on traffic
regulations when I drive in a different country, but for all practical
purposes the rules are exactly the same anywhere in the UK. Allowing
towns of cities to make their own laws sounds like anarchy.

In Scotland, for instance, the Start of Motorway signs do not indicate
the start of National Speed Limit (70mph) as they do in England and
Wales. But the difference is taken care of by having 70mph signs in
Scotland.

Phil