[Tagging] drinkable vs. drinking_water

aighes osm at aighes.de
Thu Jul 12 13:43:57 BST 2012

Am 12.07.2012 14:21, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> The general tag for a source of drinkable water is
> amenity=drinking_water. But in some cases you will want to subtag an
> existing OSM-object (like an amenity=fountain) with the info that the
> water is drinkable.
>
> Apparently our free tagging schema has led to 2 alternative keys for this:
>
> drinkable=yes/no can be found here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfountain
>
> drinking_water=yes/no is defined here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drinking_water
>
> The first is around 5 times more in use than the second. How shall we
> proceed in order to unify the two?
In German forum was a discussion about it some weeks ago:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=17149

Result:
drinking_water is used as a official information with controlled quality
etc. ( I think, it is to "German") and shouldn't be used also as "I
drunk it and are still alive".

But I think it's a useful feature to have the second information also in
the data. Because local mapper should know better, if it could be
drunken without a risk or if there is chemical industries some km above.

Henning