[Tagging] drinkable vs. drinking_water

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:35:06 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> On 13.07.2012 02:12, Andrew Errington wrote:
>> I expect that "trunk road", "roundabout", "shelter" and
>> "archaeological site" are not well known in all languages, however,
>> the language of OSM is English and "potable" has a very clear meaning.
>
> Wikipedia seems to think that "potable water" and "drinking water" mean
> the same thing, though.

Then you won't mind using potable, since they are the same.  :)

What's the difference between 'water' and 'drinking water'?  Answer-
'drinking water' is water that is potable.

Anyway, I don't think we should assume other people are stupid and
choose 'simple' words just for the sake of it.  It seems that we all
know what potable means, but we are worried that other mappers, whom
we have never met, won't understand.  Let me assure you, they are just
as smart as you.

Best wishes,

Andrew